Professor of International Economics
- Senior Research Fellow, Research Institute of Industrial Economics (IFN), Stockholm
- Non-resident Senior Fellow, Bruegel, Brussels
- Research Fellow, Centre for Economic Policy Research (CEPR), London
- International trade and trade policy
- Economic and legal aspects of trade and environmental agreements
- Industrial Organization; in particular competition policy and regulation
- Why the WTO? An Introduction to the Economics of Trade Agreements, The American Law Institute, 2012. (With Gene M. Grossman.)
- Legal and Economic Principles of World Trade Law: National Treatment, The American Law Institute, 2012. (With Gene M. Grossman and Petros C. Mavroidis.)
- “Between Transparency and Adjudication: Environmental Measures in the WTO TBT Committee”, 2012. (With Petros C. Mavroidis and Erik Wijkström.)
- “Internationell tjänstehandel: GATS-avtalet och Sverige” (”International trade in services: the GATS and Sweden”), forthcoming in Henrik Jordahl (ed.), Kartläggning av tjänstesektorn i Sverige, Ingenjörsvetenskapsakademien, 2012.
- ”Koldioxidtullar och det handelspolitiska klimatet” (Border Carbon Adjustments and the Trade Policy Climate”), IFN News Letter, May 2012.
- “The WTO Dispute Settlement System 1995-2010: Some Descriptive Statistics”, Journal of World Trade 45(6), 2011. (With Louise Johannesson and Petros C. Mavroidis.)
- “The WTO Dispute Settlement Data Set: User’s Guide”, 2011. (With Petros C. Mavroidis.)
- “MEAs and the WTO: Silence Speaks Volumes”, 2011. (With Petros C. Mavroidis.)
- “To B(TA) or Not to B(TA)? On the Legality and Desirability of Border Tax Adjustments from a Trade Perspective”, FERDI, Paris, June 2011. World Economy, 34(11), 1911-1937, 2011. (With Petros C. Mavroidis.)
- “The Burden of Proof in Trade Disputes and the Environment”, Journal of Environmental Economics and Management 62(1), 2011, 15–29. (Earlier version)
- “Trade Agreements as Endogenously Incomplete Contracts”, American Economic Review, 100(1), 2010, 394-419. (With Giovanni Maggi and Robert W. Staiger.) Reprinted in Bacchetta, Marc and Michele Ruta (eds.), The WTO, Subsidies and Countervail, Edward Elgar Publishing, 2011, and in Alan O. Sykes and James and Patricia Kowal (eds.), Economics of International Trade Law, Edward Elgar Publishing, 2012 (forthcoming).
- “On the Role of MEAs in the WTO: Legislators’ Silence Speaks Volumes”, ENTWINED Issue Brief No. 07, 2011. (With Petros C. Mavroidis.)
- “Beyond the WTO? An Anatomy of EU and US Preferential Trade Agreements”, Bruegel Blueprint Series Volume VII, 2009. (With Petros C. Mavroidis and André Sapir.) Shorter version in The World Economy 33(11), 1565-1588, 2010; in David Greenaway (ed.), The World Economy: Global Trade Policy 2010, 2011, Wiley-Blackwell, 223-246; and in Bagwell, Kyle W. and Petros C. Mavroidis (eds), Preferential Trade Agreements: Law, Policy, and Economics, Cambridge University Press, 2011.
- “Climate Change and the WTO: Legal Issues Concerning Border Tax Adjustments”, Japanese Yearbook of International Law 53, 2010, 19-40. (With Petros C. Mavroidis.) (Longer version)
Environment and Trade in a World of Interdependence -- ENTWINED
The long-term project Environment and Trade in a World of Interdependence – ENTWINED – supported by The Foundation of Strategic Environmental Research (Mistra, Sweden) – brings together researchers and policy analysts from several countries. The project focuses on the interplay between environmental policies, and the global trade regime (in particular the WTO).
WTO Dispute Settlement Data Set
Petros C. Mavroidis and I have compiled an extensive data set on the Dispute Settlement system of the WTO. The data set comprises approximately 67 000 observations on various legal and administrative aspects, of all WTO disputes initiated since the inception of the WTO 1 January 1995, up to the end of July 2011. The data set tracks each dispute from the initial Request for Consultations, through adjudication, and implementation.
The data set, and the User’s Guide, can also be found at the World Bank website.
The paper “The WTO Dispute Settlement System 1995-2010: Some Descriptive Statistics” (joint with Louise Johannesson and Petros C. Mavroidis), provides some basic observations from the data.
Legal and Economic Principles of World Trade Law
Petros C. Mavroidis and I have been Co-Chief Reporters for the American Law Institute project Legal and Economic Principles of World Trade Law. In this long-run project, economists and lawyers jointly analyze the WTO Agreement and the case law from its Dispute Settlement system. To date, approximately 70 WTO disputes have been analyzed by pairs of economists and lawyers.
Reports written in the project, as well as more information on the project, are available at the ALI website.
WTO Dispute Settlement, Competition Policy, Regulation, and Sports Economics.
Email: A@B where A is henrik.horn and B is econ-law.se
Phone: +46 8 665 45 40
Updated: 29 December 2012